WACO, Texas – After an intensive survey of staff, services, and policies, Texas Department of State Health Services has designated Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Hillcrest as a Level III maternal care center, the highest designation in the Waco area.
"Our commitment to supporting these mothers through the life-changing experience of growing their families is the driving force behind our efforts to constantly improve and expand our services," said Charles Williams, president of Baylor Scott & White – Hillcrest. "We are incredibly proud of our team's dedication to providing our community with the best possible care."
The designation makes Baylor Scott & White – Hillcrest the high-risk maternal facility for the Waco area. The facility joins Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Temple as the only Central Texas hospitals with a Level III or IV designation.
To earn Level III maternal care designation, the team at Baylor Scott & White – Hillcrest demonstrated its expertise in:
- Subspecialty Care – The facility is recognized for providing care for pregnant and postpartum patients that includes:
- A cadre of medical and maternal subspecialists, surgical specialists, and behavioral health specialists available for around-the-clock support.
- A medical team and resources to perform major surgery for mothers.
- An intensive care unit with critical care capabilities for maternal patients.
- A designated team that includes physicians and nurses trained to provide care specifically for maternal patients and respond to emergencies.
- A program for genetic diagnosis and counselling for genetic disorders.
- A continuously available certified lactation consultant.
- A dietician or nutritionist with training and expertise in maternal nutrition.
- High-risk patient care – As part of the Texas Alliance for Innovation on Maternal Health program, Baylor Scott & White – Hillcrest adheres to guidelines and protocols to reduce the risk of preventable maternal morbidity and mortality, including promoting prevention, early diagnosis, therapy, stabilization, and transfer.
- Transportation – Safe and efficient ground and flight transportation for mother and baby from other hospitals in high-risk births.
- Continued education – The medical center offers technologically advanced simulation drills and practices to prepare medical staff for all birthing conditions, helping to lower poor maternal outcomes.
- Perinatal outreach – Baylor Scott & White – Hillcrest has a dedicated team to provide services and training on safe delivery practices to local hospitals and birthing centers.
The Level III designation was given to Hillcrest as part of the newly established maternal designation program. It was designed to create best-in-practice standards for women and children's services programs in Texas to improve maternal outcomes. The state's designation arms expectant mothers with the background of a hospital's care to make informed decisions during pregnancy about their birthing hospital.
"There's a quote by Mark Twain that says, 'The two most important days of a person's life are the day they're born and the day they figure out why,'" said Amanda Truelove, director of nursing for women and children's service. "We are honored to be a part of one of those days, and we take seriously our responsibility to make that day safe and happy for the entire family."
# # #
About Baylor Scott & White Health
As the largest not-for-profit health system in the state of Texas, Baylor Scott & White promotes the health and well-being of every individual, family and community it serves. It is committed to making quality care more accessible, convenient and affordable through its integrated delivery network, which includes the Baylor Scott & White Health Plan, Baylor Scott & White Research Institute, the Baylor Scott & White Quality Alliance and its leading digital health platform – MyBSWHealth. Through 51 hospitals and more than 1,100 access points, including flagship academic medical centers in Dallas, Fort Worth and Temple, the system offers the full continuum of care, from primary to award-winning specialty care. Founded as a Christian ministry of healing more than a century ago, Baylor Scott & White today serves more than three million Texans. For more information, visit: BSWHealth.com