Baylor Scott & White Sports Therapy & Research, a 300,000-square-foot medical and sports performance complex located at The Star in Frisco, home of the Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters, is now open.
Unique not only for Baylor Scott & White and the Dallas Cowboys, but also for the sports performance and healthcare fields overall, the work being done at Baylor Scott & White Sports Therapy & Research will provide a new platform to improve the well-being of communities of all ages.
"Baylor Scott & White Sports Therapy & Research at The Star represents our commitment to preventing illness and injuries before they happen," said Jim Hinton, CEO, Baylor Scott & White Health. "The goal of this collaboration with the Dallas Cowboys and Frisco ISD is to improve sports safety for athletes of all levels. This facility will use technology to help athletes understand, monitor and improve performance, and will offer a comprehensive approach to diagnosis, treatment and recovery."
"Baylor Scott & White Health is that world-class organization we envisioned working with when we knew we wanted to bring a medical provider to The Star," said Jerry Jones Jr., chief sales and marketing officer and executive vice president, Dallas Cowboys. "We're excited for this one-of-a-kind facility to begin to offer advanced care for sports medicine and orthopedics, as well as nutrition and healthy living to the Dallas Cowboys, the Frisco community and beyond."
Multispecialty medical and sports performance complex for all ages
The facility opening today will focus on sports performance and injury prevention to give patients access to equipment and services used by elite athletes.
Care teams at The Star will work with the most recognizable sports team in the world to promote wellness, prevent injury, treat patients with a team approach, and continuously improve methods through research.
Facility highlights include:
- Sports Performance Center, powered by the Fusionetics Performance Health System, offers individuals and athletes of all ages and skill levels services and amenities to decrease risk of injury, enhance performance and optimize recovery. Performance and healthcare practitioners use Fusionetics and other evaluation and monitoring platforms for the biomechanical evaluation of movement, detecting problem areas and assessing mechanical inefficiencies.
- Blue Star Imaging at The Star, featuring innovative technology in a sports-fan environment, including 3 Tesla MRI, multi-slice CT, bone density, calcium scoring, digital e-ray and ultrasound featuring XD Clear Technology as well as 3D applications. Images are read by the radiologists of the Dallas Cowboys, a team consisting of highly trained sub-specialized radiologists with direct focus on musculoskeletal, neurological and body radiology.
- Sports Surgery Center, focusing on orthopedic surgery for sports injuries with the convenience of being on campus with other associated services – offering one-stop service for athletes.
- Outpatient rehabilitation, with staff trained to provide a tailored approach to treatment and prevention for injured athletes. Services include orthopedic post-operative cases, musculoskeletal injuries and other sports medicine and rehabilitation.
- Sports Concussion Center, with a multidisciplinary team approach to the assessment and individualized treatment of sports-related concussion in athletes of all ages.
- Gatorade Sports Science Institute (GSSI), a full-service sports performance and nutrition lab committed to helping athletes optimize health and performance through research and education in hydration and nutrition science. The Frisco lab is the third GSSI location in the United States, joining the Barrington, Illinois, headquarters and a satellite lab at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida.
- Research at the facility will be conducted through Baylor Scott & White Research Institute. With the unique sports therapy and care this facility enables, and the infrastructure in place under Baylor Scott & White Research Institute, studies can be pursued with the rigor and care needed in research, while upholding the commitment to healthcare innovation that has been a hallmark of Baylor Scott & White for decades.
- Additional outpatient services include urgent care, pharmacy, cardiovascular services, family medicine, orthopedics and more.
The facility offers a first-of-its-kind collaboration between a healthcare system (Baylor Scott & White Health), an NFL team (the Dallas Cowboys) and a school district (Frisco ISD).
Baylor Scott & White's care team has been working with Frisco ISD leadership to provide students movement efficiency screens as well as the Fusionetics Performance Health System, a sports science clinical program that provides effective solutions focused on decreasing injury, optimizing performance and enhancing recovery. Additionally, Baylor Scott & White provided team physicians for high schools in the district, concussion experts on the sideline for all varsity home football games, and pre-participation physicals.
"It's important that our local student athletes at Frisco ISD have access to the latest technology and most-skilled hands to receive the best training and treatment to perform at the highest possible levels," said Jerry Jones, Jr.
"Baylor Scott & White is an organization that embodies the core values we aim to instill in our student athletes including character, integrity, responsibility and service to the community," said David Kuykendall, athletic director, Frisco ISD. "We are excited to have the opportunity to provide this innovative technology and nationally recognized healthcare to our students and athletes. Their safety is our top priority."
"We're proud Baylor Scott & White Sports Therapy & Research chose to build this 'first of its kind' facility here in Frisco," said Mayor Jeff Cheney. "We're excited this unique facility fosters research, innovation, health and fitness. As Sports City USA, our community has earned a reputation for being sports centric. Men's Journal described Frisco as the 'Best Place to Raise an Athlete'. Baylor Scott & White Sports Therapy & Research helps Frisco become the 'Safest Place to be an Athlete.'"
Baylor Scott & White Sports Therapy & Research was designed by Perkins+Will, a research-led architecture and design firm known for creating some of the world's healthiest, most sustainable places in which people live, learn, work, play, and heal. Initial construction began in the summer of 2016. CBRE provided project management services, and MEDCO Construction served as the construction general contractor for this project.
For more information about Baylor Scott & White Sports Therapy & Research visit:
About Baylor Scott & White Health
As the largest not-for-profit health system in the state of Texas, Baylor Scott & White promotes the health and well-being of every individual, family and community it serves. It is committed to making quality care more accessible, convenient and affordable through its integrated delivery network, which includes the Baylor Scott & White Health Plan, Baylor Scott & White Research Institute, the Baylor Scott & White Quality Alliance and its leading digital health platform – MyBSWHealth. Through 51 hospitals and more than 1,100 access points, including flagship academic medical centers in Dallas, Fort Worth and Temple, the system offers the full continuum of care, from primary to award-winning specialty care. Founded as a Christian ministry of healing more than a century ago, Baylor Scott & White today serves more than three million Texans. For more information, visit: BSWHealth.com