Baylor Scott & White Health is breaking ground today on a new facility with a goal of promoting the community's health and wellbeing while advancing sports medicine and injury prevention across the region.
When complete in 2019, Baylor Scott & White Sports and Orthopedic Center will be a 106,000 sq.-ft., four-story facility offering under one roof a full spectrum of sports medicine and sports performance services for athletes of all ages.
"Today's groundbreaking represents our commitment to promoting wellness in this community and our continued work with athletes of all ages," said Glenn Robinson, president, Baylor Scott & White Health – Waco Region. "With this new addition to our campus, we seek to prevent injuries before they occur with advanced performance practices and prevention technology. When injuries do strike, we stand ready to treat patients with a team approach to each individual's unique injury."
Equipment and services used by elite athletes – now available for the whole community
Highlights planned for Baylor Scott & White Sports and Orthopedic Center will be located both inside and outside the facility for maximum use of space for the rehabilitation and development of each athlete:
- Primary care and preventive medicine
- Sports performance space where team members can analyze the movement of athletes of all ages to improve strength, conditioning and performance with a focus on safety
- Orthopedic and sports medicine clinics with specialists offering both surgical and nonsurgical solutions to pain in hand/wrist, elbow, foot/ankle, spine and total joint
- Diagnostic imaging offering advanced diagnostic radiology
- Surgery center for orthopedic procedures, located conveniently in the same complex as medical practices and rehabilitation services
- Physical rehabilitation with indoor and outdoor physical therapy areas
- Fusionetics Performance Health System, a sports science clinical program that provides effective solutions focused on decreasing injury, optimizing performance and enhancing recovery
Anchoring the new complex is Baylor Scott & White Southwest Sports Medicine & Orthopaedics, a sports medicine practice dedicated to meeting the medical needs of athletes and active adults of all ages in the Central Texas community. In addition to serving as team physicians for Baylor Athletics, Baylor Scott & White Southwest Sports Medicine works with junior colleges and high schools from all over Central Texas to offer comprehensive sport medicine care.
"We focus on building relationships with primary care physicians, athletic trainers and coaches," said Dr. Jon Ellis, founder, Baylor Scott & White Southwest Sports Medicine & Orthopaedics. "We work with them to provide quality sports medicine, and our work together will be expanded in this new facility. We are excited to continue keeping this community healthy."
# # #
About Baylor Scott & White Health
As the largest not-for-profit health system in the state of Texas, Baylor Scott & White promotes the health and well-being of every individual, family and community it serves. It is committed to making quality care more accessible, convenient and affordable through its integrated delivery network, which includes the Baylor Scott & White Health Plan, Baylor Scott & White Research Institute, the Baylor Scott & White Quality Alliance and its leading digital health platform – MyBSWHealth. Through 51 hospitals and more than 1,200 access points, including flagship academic medical centers in Dallas, Fort Worth and Temple, the system offers the full continuum of care, from primary to award-winning specialty care. Founded as a Christian ministry of healing more than a century ago, Baylor Scott & White today serves more than three million Texans. For more information, visit: BSWHealth.com